Web Site Design, Hosting and Custom CGI and Database Programming
Bennett Website Construction
Web Site Design
- Fully accessible designs for visually disabled and motor-skill disabled customers.
- Pages validate to W3C standards for XHTML - assures proper display of your website in current AND future browsers.
- Pages use stylesheets to make maintenance and major style changes across your entire site quick, easy and cheap to implement.
- Above design elements means that pages are indexed properly by search engines like Google, so your site is easily found.
- We follow usability guidelines that help assure your information can be readily found by your site's users and customers.
- Produce both English and Spanish versions of pages
- Set up hosting and domain names for you - we can take care of everything, you just approve each proposed choice.
- Take care of site maintenance and routine content additions as needed
Web Site Hosting
- We have a dedicated server running OpenBSD (Unix-based OS), an ultra secure operating system often used by banks, Dept. of Defense and other security-oriented operations. This gives the equivalent of a linux server, just much more secure.
- We offer shared hosting, if you need a private server, we can also set that up.
All of the web perl code on this server is written in high performance mod_perl
- Install your scripts and check for proper operation.
- Review your scripts for common, but serious, security problems seen in many scripts.
- Customize scripts to your specific needs.
- Repair non-standard HTML found in many scripts that can cause problems in browsers.
Database Setup and Programming
I also offer projects involving setup, database design and application programming to access data.
I use PostgreSQL databases. PostgreSQL offers better control and options over other popular databases such as MySQL.
Bennett Construction uses databases which automatically scans for and updates material prices at various vendors. This database also maintains records on our customers and their jobsite locations. We also maintain a list of vendor information with specific contacts. I have now added database and applications to create small assemblies of projects we do, such as a 10' long wall. These small assemblies can then be put together to form a complete project such as a building. This gives us the ability to price a project once and then to be able to simply look up that price again for a future project without needing to rebuild a fresh quote. This is much better for both us and our customers. For an example of our database output, Vendor Information.
Assembly Example. We use this to supply material lists to customers who buy our plans.
One customer of ours is considering using this database design for their catering business, allowing them to make assemblies of different foods and the individual items in each dish that can be served, finally forming these into a complete meal to cater. Other possible databases that may be useful to residential customers might be an inventory of valuable personal property, with prices paid, serial numbers and general description. This could be very helpful in case of theft or natural disaster for insurance and recovery purposes. Less serious possibilities would be an inventory of CDs and DVDs for people with large collections. Recipes would also be a good thing to store in a database, since index cards and paper sheets are easily destroyed by oil and water in the kitchen. New copies could be printed as needed. Important database information is simple to copy onto a CD or USB drive for storage at another location, which will leave that information safe after fires, floods, etc.
What are your prices?
We charge based on a variety of factors including:
- Is it a new design and website from scratch or are we modifying an existing site?
- Are we doing photography, graphic design and editing or just inserting web-ready art and graphics?
- Number and complexity of pages and content.
- Password protected areas of site? IP restricted areas (for example areas accessible from your network only)
Prices for small sites needing a limited number of pages and features are very reasonable. We will soon offer specific packages with set prices for these customers. For now, please contact us for a quote if you know what you want already or to set up a meeting discuss what we recommend based on your needs and budget.
What is a Construction Company doing offering these services?
As a general construction and remodeling company, we have always had to confront the need to learn how to do something new and difficult. Some things were unique, never to be repeated again, others were things we could not do before but after gaining experience and training employees, these things then became services we could add to the list of things we do regularly.
Because of this way of thinking and working, we decided that developing the ability to produce our own web site and program our own scripts and software would be a good investment of our time. Now we want to add that to the list of services we offer to help make that investment in time and learning not just convenient for us but also profitable.
I think our philosophy is best summed up by the following:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
What other sites have you done?
How can I contact you?
Please use our Contact Form.
Last Updated: February 19, 2012